Thursday 1 December 2016

Getting Older

As we get older my melancholy gets ever closer - not depression but in the evening my reality overwhelms me. I think about the things that are past and the things that will not come back. “Let me live in a way that when I die, my memory will bear much fruit.”


These words, inspired by Henri Nouwen reflecting on Jesus saying, “It is good that I go away,” Jesus' going bore much fruit.

A Cold Stone
The cold stone church wall
A place of remembrance -
The voice of a thousand angelic memories locked inside -
Crying in the night and reflecting
Where and when did they go?

A cold stone church step
A thousand footfalls, beaten down
The passing of a thousand hosts, never coming back-
What and when did they think and love?



A cold stone marker
A place of resting -
A thousand words of longing - silenced for a time
When and how will they rise again?

No comments:

Post a Comment