Wednesday 23 November 2016

Walking into Advent

I stepped out of the apartment this morning and saw the snowflake decorations on the light post at the strip-mall across the street. It is getting close to the advent season. Last night, while driving my daughter and grandchildren home from school, my grandson said: “Christmas lights!” He was excited, and I was excited to see him beginning to know the story of Christ's first advent. I have always loved Christmas. I love the family meals; I love buying presents to give to people and see their face light up with joy. I love the music and remembering the words of the people close to Jesus telling of hope and anticipation of all that his incarnation meant and would mean. I love the gift of mercy and grace that expresses itself so well in the words of the heavenly messengers, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward people!” – As I walked down the street and was thinking all these things, about my son coming home for visit this Christmas, and all the other details that this time of the year provokes, I remembered the peace and goodwill. Even though all around are the hard things in life, for me, this time of year, I embrace the feeling of contentment despite all that would try, and make me anxious, because Christ has come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment